SAVE MONEY AND BUNDLE! This course is also offered for a discounted rate as part of a 3-course bundle. Look for the “ADHA22 Elevating Your Perio Care Workshop Bundle” in the course catalog to register.
Speaker: Karen “Casey” Hein, BSDH, MBA
Program Track: Clinical
Course Description: Periodontal science has evolved into such a rich evidence base that it has irrevocably obligated the profession of dental hygiene to advance into the primary healthcare arena. Integration of many medical tests and preventive counseling traditionally delivered by physicians and nurses, is a ‘new calling’ for us, and long overdue. Yet, not all of us are ready to embrace this “new calling’ to primary healthcare. It’s a little like the story of the three masons. Join us to explore what this new model may look like in everyday patient care. Participants will be challenged to consider how to incorporate medical screening and implement progressive protocols that target periodontal-systemic interrelationships. Regardless of which mason you identify with, as dental hygienists, we share a universal desire to make a difference in our patients’ lives. *Note: This course offers a closed-captioned option as well as auto-translated subtitles in 10 languages.
- Identify the drivers of medical-dental integration and describe its inevitability.
- Utilizing the 2017-18 guidelines, determine how various systemic factors influence the diagnosis, classification and long-term stability of cases of periodontitis.
- Implement therapeutic strategies for long-term stabilization of the reduced periodontium.
- Introduce various types of screening tools, including patient questionnaires and point-of-care tests to identify patients at risk for non-communicable and infectious diseases.
- Build collaborative relationships with physicians and nurses and make it easy for them to send direct referrals to your practice.
CE Credit Hours: 1.5
Original Date of Session: June 26, 2022
The American Dental Hygienists' Association is designated as an approved provider by the American Academy of Dental Hygiene, Inc. #AADHADH (Jan. 1, 2022–Dec. 31, 2022). Approval does not imply acceptance by a state or provincial Board of Dentistry. Licensee should maintain this document in the event of an audit.
The American Dental Hygienists’ Association is an approved provider of dental continuing education as recognized by the Dental Board of California, Provider #5238.
Discounted member price:
You could save: